Monday, November 17, 2008

PAD 17 - Love (Theme is Loss)

Love Stories

I loved my Dad,
He said he loved me
that I was special
and the abuse got worse.
Misplaced love. Loss of childhood.

My first husband said
he loved me and would
even spout scripture as
he beat my head against the wall.
Mistaken love. Loss of dreams.

I love you like my own mother
said Gracie before she pulled off
the burglary of our business and
took everything meaningful to me
from our safe, not to mention the money.
Con love. Loss of safety.

The Bible says Jesus loves me
I believed, I knew he’d take care
of my children, that was my only prayer.
Enchanted love. Loss of faith.

I love you, Mom, I love you so much
were the last words
I ever heard from my son
before he died by his own hand.
Sometimes love just isn’t enough.
Loss of heart.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Gut-wrenching, Judy. You really are writing so much powerful stuff to your theme.